Monday, March 7, 2011

Trains

Today.....I heard a train whistle blowing. I was walking into work in an office building downtown when I was almost to the door when I heard the train coming. I stopped, turned around and went back to my car. I put down my 3 bags and leaned up against my car to watch it go by. You see....I have always loved trains. My brother had one when we were little. He stored it in an old brown suitcase. It would put out a faint smoke ring....and occasionally I will smell something electrical that reminds of Mark's train. I probably loved that train as much as he did.
I started reading 'Water for Elephants' a few weeks ago....and there was a part about a guy that just decided to jump a train....and go wherever it took him....which got me thinking about trains again. Sidenote: I am going to Denver at the end of the month....and I tried to talk Big Daddy into going by train...but it's an 18 hour trip by train....and he has work deadlines....anyway....no train trip this time....so back to my story....

I decided.....today.....that I would stop my world briefly....to watch this train that grabbed my attention. It was a Southern Norfolk....pulled by 2 engines. It was 69 car lengths long.....mostly hauling Corn Products. There was only one reddish brown cargo car with an open door.....and it I thought about my book....and wondered how many people still jump into open cargo doors just to get to the next town the train stops in. There were flat bed cars hauling scrap metal. Some of silver cars has gang graffiti painted on them. I saw a man walking between the engines...and for the first time realized here was a door on the very front of the engine. I thought they just climbed the ladder to get into the engine. The caboose was NOT red....unfortunately.
I love trains....even when I'm in a hurry and waiting for them to pass.... I still love to watch them. I realize many people get annoyed waiting for them to pass because of the nature of our busy worlds....but I am still facinated.

Wormie has a train track near her apartment....and when we're on the phone....sometimes I can hear 'her train'. I always comment..."There goes your train". 2Shaye and I are going to spend a few nights with her....I can't wait to hear the 2am train.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

=). I loved this!!

I agree at first the train was really annoying, inconvenient & superrrr superrrr loud!

It comes at 7:43 most mornings so if I happened to be running a little late I was going to be 5 minutes late for class!!

But after a month or so I found something comforting about it. About the sound. ItS so different than the peace and quiet at home that I find myself listening for the train when I m fallIng asleep. Here and at home! But I didn't notice I did that until I was at home over christmas!

While it is very loud but what can I expect the track is a hop, skip & jump away I love my train. most days that is! Haha

Be ready it comes well...there she goes!right now and around 930. 2ish 4ish 730ish and a couple times around lunch! Its a busssyyyy train I promise you will get your train fix here!!

Love you. I'm excited yall will be here in less that 48 hours!!

laurenkelley said...

I have never had a train! but this post certainly makes me want one! haha i hope you three have a good weekend together! :)